Shenanigans Part Deux - Fight night and New Orleans

Dear World,
 
I must get you caught up on all my summer time shenanigans. Oh my! I feel as if I have neglected you again. Bad girl!!
 
You can rest assured regardless of the radio silence life has been anything but silent. First off, my concert filled spring opened the door to a carefree summer effortlessly. Summer just glided in my life like an expensive pair of pantyhose. So yeah. That was me. Going into the summer feeling good and expecting to enjoy every minute of it.
 
My first summer stop was fight night in Birmingham, Alabama. By the way, with Alabama as my home you will see many mini excursions and treasures on my page from my home state.  Getting back to the story, current heavyweight champion and native Alabamian, Deontay Wilder was set to fight Eric Molina at Bartow Arena in June.  It was my first professional fight and surprisingly exceeded my expectations. I know. I know.  A fight?  For those that are acquainted with only on side of me one would think that I am either a prissy-conservative, a tree hugging hippie or artist wild child.  Tsk. Tsk.  I am multidimensional guys! As a former tomboy and athlete I have always valued sports especially  boxing and martial arts. Why? Boxing because my grandfather inundated my childhood with stories of boxing greats such as Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali  and martial arts because I grew up watching old Bruce Lee movies.


So you can imaging walking into this arena was like a dream come true for me and the place to be.  Apparently, it was for many at the sold out event as Showtime aired the fight with appearances from celebrities and sports commentators. I provided a couple of pictures for you of the sold out event. 
 


The pre-fight
 
 
The main event. 
 
 
 
Next stop. New Orleans!!!






This is where it all begins
Secret: New Orleans is absolutely one of my favorite cities!!! Who can't love the rich history, culture, and mouth watering food? I have been to this lovely city on several occasions for festivals, micro mini vacations and day trips. My expectations for a great time were no different as I went with some great friends of mine to enjoy the annual Essence Festival hosted by Essence magazine. It is held annually during Fourth of July weekend.  I am unsure whether any of you have ever had the opportunity to go but if you have not I encourage you to change that.  This is my fifth year in attendance and I must say each year is different and has something different to offer.


 
From the moment you arrive the city is alive with people.  You see an array of people from all demographics ready for one thing-a weekend packed with celebrity sightings, stellar performances, informative seminars, parties and giveaways.  The festival usually begins on Friday but for the past few years, Thursday has been added as an additional day of fun.  This year Essence was kicked off with Kevin Hart's "What Now" comedy tour and Trey Songs concert series.  Each day is packed with concerts, events, seminars and street vendors, day cruises, tours and almost everything your hearts desire. So regardless of what your interests are there is something for you. Below are a few pictures of this year's sights through my eyes. Enjoy!    
 


The program for the festival

 
The many concerts...
 


Stellar performances all around. 

Little finds in the Outlet at the Riverwalk
Feeding my sweet tooth
And did I mention the shopping? Inside the Outlet Collection at Riverwalk there are boutiques and national retailers from popular brands such as Gap and Forever 21 to high end such as Neiman Marcus Last Call Studio.
 
The convention center is home to seminars, vendors, sponsor displays, games, giveaways, food, celebrity sightings, free live performances and more.
 
 
Approaching the end of an entertaining and empowering weekend, this phrase was shown during a performance. It struck a cord with me and I hope that it is as thought provoking for you.

 
For snippets of performances check out my Youtube channel.  
 
Until Next Time,

Curly Girl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you Ready??

Offense vs. Love and Purposeful thinking

Birthday Curly